Sunday, April 25, 2010

Skylar's reaction

While I sat with Brett at the computer doing the PowerPoint, Skylar sat at the table saying things like "no one even knows I'm here, and no one cares about me" Eventually it turned into a full meltdown, so I had to really dig deep and figure out how to help her come to terms with the situation. I told her that Bill and I and everyone else know that she is a good and caring person and that she makes good choices and always tries to do the right thing. Brett, on the other hand, has been on the edge of good and bad behavior and this seems to have pulled him over to make better choices especially in school. I thought maybe if she were doing this project and getting all of this attention that he might have decided that she was the "good" one and not even tried anymore.
I also reminded her that after she won the NE wrestling tournament he was so proud of her that he told everyone, including people he just met. She said she tells everyone about Brett's project too. But, I reminded her that he was also very jealous and decided to go to MAWA's and then pouted all day when he didn't win. She is so emotionally mature that she got all of that and was able to relax and get to bed.
Also, she got so much attention throughout wrestling season, no one cared that Brett was there, it was all about her.
From then on, she has handled it very well, she got dressed up to come to dinner without any complaints and seems at peace with it. I suggested maybe she become the treasurer and learn to do an Excel spreadsheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment